Thursday, March 26, 2020

So Close! (Second to last chemo is done!)

Yesterday I went in for round 7 of 8 of my chemo infusions! I was a bit anxious to see if for some reason it would get postponed, but nope. Our state may be on a shelter at home order, but chemo must go on! In some ways it was a bit of a different experience from two weeks ago due to the Covid outbreak, and in some ways it was the same.

To begin with, I drive right by a drive through testing site to get to the Cancer Center. Thankfully our area hasn't been hit too hard yet, so it has been quiet the times I have driven past. However, they are ready with lots of traffic control and staff ready to go. In some ways it is comforting to know they are ready for it and in others it really makes this all seem more real. When I got to the center there was a nurse at the door to perform a Clovid screening before you could check in. It involved a temperature check and some questions. Once you pass you are given a sticker for the day to let everyone know that you have been screened.The waiting area has also changed with spaced out chairs and no reading materials. There were less people waiting as they have gone to selected care and in person visits. Also, they are no longer allowing visitors. After being called back to the treatment area, nothing much had changed. There were fewer patients, and again, no visitors. The nurses also were all wearing masks the entire time.
Even Hulu had to remind me about Covid!

Since I was there by myself I brought along plenty to occupy my time in the chair. I did some reading, talked on the phone, and watched a little Hulu on my laptop. My infusions are taking about 4 hours these rounds and really the time went fairly quickly. Since we aren't going anywhere these days and since all six of us are at home, it actually was a nice quiet break. (The chairs have heaters and massagers and I get to order a meal. It is almost like a spa day. 😂) I had a nurse that I have had one other time and it was good to talk to her about everything that is going on.
I was able to sit in my favorite bay, #6. I think I have had four of my seven infusions here.

Everything went very well. All of my labs still look great. I take this as a huge blessing. I get to see many other cancer patients while I am at the center and it really makes me so thankful that my treatment is going so smoothly for me. Cancer and its treatment can cause so many different side effects and complications. The Lord has blessed me with such a smooth and uncomplicated treatment path.
I always ask the nurse to turn my chair to face the window. It is such a great view of the lake. This time I could watch ducks flying and fog rolling in.

After treatment I felt a bit worn out, but otherwise well. If this round follows my previous two with Taxol, I should be feeling pretty well with some body aches setting in around day four and five. I am so thankful that this drug has given me less down days.
My "spa" chair.

I was able to schedule all of the appointments for my last round of chemo while I was there! I can't believe that is where I am already. At the beginning it seems like such a long time, but as with many things in life, when you get in the routine it doesn't seem to take so long. After my last round of chemo the plan is to have surgery and then radiation. I am praying that all continues to go as planned and that Covid doesn't interrupt any of these plans, but I know that God has it all figured out. I am also praying for continued health for our family. Two of the kids had fevers and coughs last week. I have never washed my hands so much! I hope they don't have PTSD from me telling them to stay away from me!
I pray that you are all doing well and hanging in there! What a crazy time we are all living through right now. I hope that looking back this is just a small blip in our lives. I continue to remember that like my cancer diagnoses, this is not a surprise to our Lord. He continues to hold us all and carry us through this.

1 comment :