Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Surgery

Me and My "baby"
After completing my last round of chemo it was time to let my body heal for surgery. I was a little concerned with the COVID precautions that my surgery would be postponed, but it all went according to our original timeline. About 2 weeks following my final chemo I had another MRI to map out the tumor and nodes following treatment. After that I had a virtual appointment with my surgeon to go over surgery options and formulate a plan.
Love this family of mine!
Together we decided to go with a lumpectomy verses a mastectomy and to begin with a targeted lymph node biopsy verses a complete dissection. (The targeted approach would involve removing the sentinel (front running) lymph nodes and biopsy them in surgery. If they were cancer free we wouldn't remove any more lymph nodes. If they did contain cancer we would remove all of the axillary (underarm) lymph nodes.) My surgery would be able to take place in an area of the hospital that they were taking extra precautions to minimize the chances of being exposed to COVID while being hospitalized.
The week before surgery we were able to do a donut drive through at the school!
I had several pre-op appointments including an ultrasound to ensure that the clip placed in December with the biopsy could still be located in the lymph node. I also would go in a few days prior to the procedure to be tested for COVID. The clip was located, the test was negative, and I had a date for surgery.
The morning of surgery Matt dropped me off and I began my day at the hospital. After getting checked in and gowned up I was taken to the breast cancer center and wires were placed to help locate both the tumor and biopsied lymph node in surgery. After a mammogram I was back in my pre-op room where I received some tracer injections to help in locating the sentinel lymph nodes. Once the OR was ready I was wheeled in and put under.
All dressed up and waiting to go in.
Upon awaking I was informed that cancer was found in the sentinel nodes and a complete dissection had been performed. Not what I had hoped for, but I am happy that we started with that and were certain it was what needed to be done. I recovered at the hospital for a few hours and then Matt was able to come and pick me up. It was a long day at the hospital, but it was nice to be able to return home the same day.
The next day I heard from my surgeon who had received the pathology report. The targeted lymph node biopsy found 3 of 4 nodes to contain cancer and another node was found to be cancerous with axillary dissection. She said that the tumor itself was not super defined thanks to receiving preoperative chemotherapy. They did however report clean margins. (This means that there were healthy cells around any cancerous cells that they removed.)
I have been taking it easy in order to let my body recover. I have two incisions, one for each location, as well as a drain. I will most likely go in this week sometime to have the drain removed. (It will feel good to get that out!) Physically I am feeling pretty well. My arm is a bit sore and I am limiting what I do with it. Emotionally I am a feeling it. I think it is a combination of my body healing and the effects of anesthesia.
Next week I meet again with my oncologist to map out the rest of our plan. I am thinking that it will involve radiation to ensure that all of the cancer cells are gone.
Again, I am so grateful for the peace that God has granted me in all of this. Going into surgery I felt calm and ready for the next step. We are also thankful for excellent medical care just down the road from our house. It was a blessing for Matt to be able to zip down to drop me off and pick me up. We are also so blessed through everyone's kind thoughts, prayers, and actions! We continue to feel our Savior's love through his people.
While this is not the road that we pictured walking, it is the road that God had planned for our family. His constant care and provision has been such a welcome blessing to us all!

No comments :

Post a Comment