Monday, July 20, 2020

Radiation Begins

All gowned up and ready for the treatment table.
Friends, I have been a bit quiet over the last few months. I didn’t feel that sharing the details of my little story were all that important with everything else that is going on in the world right now.  It truly felt like being over dramatic and egocentric. Then I realized that my story really isn’t about me at all. Really none of our stories are, are they? Instead our lives are being orchestrated for a divine purpose that is so much greater than our little blip on the eternal map. And while that may sound demeaning, it is actually the opposite. God is crafting our story to fit into His story. That doesn’t seem so unimportant anymore. Maybe in sharing this chapter in my life I am allowing the Lord to work through me.
Out for a daytime adventure with the kids.
I am almost completely recovered from my surgery. I still have a bit of restricted motion on that side due to something called cording. I am super thankful that through occupational therapy I was able to really improve the comfort and mobility in my right arm. Another thing to be thankful for is no sign of lymphedema at this point.
My screening sticker collection. Every morning on my way into the Cancer Center I receive a sticker to show that I have been screened. I decided that I would keep all of my stickers from radiation as a countdown of sorts.
For two weeks now I have been going in for radiation therapy. I go every weekday morning for a quick appointment. I am grateful that we live so close to the cancer center! I am also thankful that Matt continues to work from home and can be with the kids every morning. God is truly in all of the details! So far radiation is going well. I haven’t noticed any side effects yet and still have my normal energy levels and no skin irritation.
We are still streaming our church from home and this is what happened the other morning during the service.
Moving forward I will continue radiation for another 3 weeks. After I have completed radiation I meet with my medical oncologist to begin hormone therapy. I will either be on a daily pill or a combination of injection and infusion for the next five years. Either way, these treatments will block my body from making estrogen one of the things my tumor was growing from. This therapy should help me to have less of a chance of recurrence.
I go for a walk/jog everyday. This was the scene that greeted me on a path one morning. They were a little too brave in my opinion, but it was very neat to see.

No comments :

Post a Comment