Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Chemo Therapy Round One


Christmas was wonderful, but I was anxious to get home and finally get started on treating this cancer growing in my body. That seemed like an odd feeling to be having. I could see dread or fear, but I just wanted to stop thinking about it and start acting on it. Matt and I left the kids at his parents' house with his mom and dad and sister so we could focus on getting treatment started.
We were able to enjoy a meal out together and a quiet night in before we had our mandatory chemotherapy education class the following day. So many questions were answered in that nurse led class. We brought home yet another folder of information and were able to tour the cancer center where I would be receiving treatment. We learned that my sessions would last around 2 hours following blood work and an appointment with the oncologist.

I would go in the next morning and start my day full of appointments that would eventually end with my first round of chemo. I started my day with a baseline echo cardiogram to ensure my heart could handle the powerful chemo drugs. I then had my port accessed for blood work and after the labs were in I met with my oncologist. The echo and labs looked good and I was all set to start. My nurse from the education class the day before ended up being my chemo nurse for the day. It was so nice to have a familiar face to start my treatment with.
I had my treatment chair turned toward the window so that I could look out and enjoy the beautiful and bright winter view. I got all cozy with a warm blanket and settled in with Matt in my treatment area for a second set of ears and support. (A note on warm blankets: If you are ever going through any tests or treatments and they offer you a warm blanket, the answer is always yes! Being wrapped in a warm blanket feels so comforting. The nervous shakes are soothed and you just feel cared for.) As the various concoctions were delivered via my port the nurse went over lots of information on each drug with us. I was able to read from my e-reader and also ordered lunch. My cancer center offers a meal if your treatment is over a certain length of time. I knew it would be important to keep my protein levels up and wanted to make sure I had some food in my system to help absorb all of the chemicals going in, so I took advantage of the meal.

After a little over 2 hours in the treatment area, we were done. That was it. I did leave with a medical device that would give me a shot to stimulate my white blood cell production a little after 24 hours from completing of chemo. When we got home we decided to go for a walk. You are encouraged to stay as active as possible while receiving treatment. It is good to keep your body moving and also gets those drugs moving through your system. It felt good to be out in the fresh air!

We returned home and rang in the new year early with our own devices on the couch. (Even in good health, Matt and I are not big party animals, so this seemed the perfect ending to our year.) The days following treatment I felt a bit whoozy, but otherwise okay. The fourth day was my worst for nausea and just feeling crummy. Since the kids were still gone, I just took it east and puttered around the house. (In fact the kids were supposed to come back, but one of them had a fever, and we just didn't want to risk infecting me, so they stayed a few extra days at grandma and grandpa's.)
Thankfully after day four I felt better and better everyday, with the exception of picking up a cold. By Monday I felt normal in the best possible way. I am really trying to limit my exposure to germs with my depleted immune system. The flu season is nasty this year and there are plenty of other yucky things going around out there. I am living like a hermit. Groceries are being ordered and delivered to my house or car. I am getting even better at ordering things on line as well. I have streamed a Sunday worship service the last two weeks. I miss seeing people and being out and about, but it just isn't worth getting sick.

No comments :

Post a Comment