Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Second Round of Chemo

Last week Wednesday I went in for my second round of chemo treatment. My sister from California had flown in the night before and was able to come with me and keep me company. (And bonus, she gets to stay for 2 weeks! We are all being spoiled by having Auntie Ya around. She is providing a great buffer for me and Miss 3 as she has another virus with a fever.)

All of the results from my blood draw looked great that morning. Before each round I get my labs drawn to look at things like my white blood cell count and my platelet count along with many other numbers that I know nothing about. All of these can be negatively affected by the treatment, so they want to make sure that I am able to receive treatment and don't need any other augmentation. I am so grateful that my body seems to be handling the chemo very well.
I also received the results of my genetic testing which was looking at the 12 known markers for breast cancer. More great news! I tested negative on all 12! At this time, this would indicate that I will receive a lumpectomy following chemo instead of a double mastectomy. Wonderful news!
The treatment went much the same as round one. All of the meds were delivered in about 2 hours through my port. And then home we went.

We chilled at home for a few hours and then I coerced my California blooded sister to join me in a winter walk. It felt good to be in the fresh outdoor air, even if our legs started tingling. That evening I wasn't feeling all that great, which had me a bit worried for how hard this round would hit me. Thankfully, that night I slept well, in part thanks to a new sleeping med prescription I had received that day, and felt much better in the morning. I still felt a bit rough for the next few days, but by Sunday was feeling much more myself. Such a blessing to be able to bounce back as quickly as I have.
One of the major side-effects is that my hair is 90% gone. I will write a separate post on that, but it started right before the second round and quickly finished up a few days following it.

No comments :

Post a Comment