Thursday, January 23, 2020

Losing My Hair from Chemo

I took one last picture before it really started to come out.
 Losing your hair is a given for many being treated with chemo. Sure, there are a few rare patients who don't lose their hair, but I was told before treatment that one of the drugs I would be given was a sure route to a bald head.
I was expecting to start losing my hair after round two, but it actually started a few days earlier. I would run my hands through my hair and come away with more strands than usual. The next day I could pull larger amounts out. At first it was a bit fascinating, but it did get a bit gross after few days. Lots of hair all over, especially in the shower. We decided at that point it was time to buzz it short. We set up in the bathroom and Matt got out the hair clippers. The kids all looked on as I got my cancer haircut. Even though I felt like I had already lost a lot, I still had a way to go. Over the next few days fewer and fewer hairs remained on my head. Now, a week after round two, I have just a light fuzz remaining.
Post chemo hair cut
When I was first diagnosed I thought that losing my hair would be traumatic. I knew that once it went I would carry around a sure sign to all that I was sick and in treatment. Thankfully, the actual process has been less emotional for me than I had thought. It was almost a relief to get that point and face it.
At times I wear a buff head wrap or a hat while at home, but often I will just go bare headed. It is a bit of a family joke how my head looks. When I was a baby I had fine blonde hair that often stood up around my head. I feel like I have reverted back to that first hair style.
Rocking the buff. (Can you see the fuzz peeking over the top?)

As the hair lose occurred I was reminded of this Bible passage:

Matthew 10:29-31
29 “Are not two sparrows sold for a small coin?[a] Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without the knowledge and consent of your Father. 30 And even the hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not be afraid. You are worth more than many sparrows."
My loving heavenly Father knew the exact number of hairs I would lose. He even knew the exact moment they would begin to fall out. And if he is in control over all of those minor details, he is also in control of the major ones. I am his child and he cares so much for me. (And you!)

5 comments :

  1. You are beautiful, friend. Inside and out. May God continue to fill you up with his promises. You’re an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing. I don't know how you can rock any look like you do! Glad things are going relatively well. Please don't hesitate to ask if we can do anything to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never thought of that passage in terms of less hair! Love the connections you make with this and what God says. Love you Kiki and love your head whether it be fuzzle farmer, buff-clad, wig wearing, hat rocking, lovely locksin or anything in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about my niece often and how your life is being turned up side down. It's so good to see you so willing to share your faith. Your faith puts to shame the anger I sometimes
    feel when people I love have to face what you are looking at right now. Thank you for being such a rock for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you, my friend! Your faith through this journey is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete