Friday, October 11, 2013

Foodie Friday: Carrot Cake Bread


We have a bumper crop of carrots in our garden this year. I love just going out to the back yard and pulling however many we need. I will miss that easy produce come winter. I had been having a hankering for something carrot cakey as of late and with a ready supply of carrots, I went for it. Since I knew I wanted something that I could legally eat at any old time, I didn't go for true carrot cake, instead I made some yummy carrot bread. The results were great! You could whip up some sort of cream cheese frosting to go with the bread, but I went lo-cal. ;)

Carrot Cake Bread 

based on the recipe from Flour On My Face
Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 cups shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Directions
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Grease four mini loaf pans and set aside.
3) Mix sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla until blended.
4) Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and spices in small bowl.
5) Mix dry ingredients into wet until incorporated.
6) Add carrots, almonds, and dried cranberries. Fold in until incorporated.
7) Pour into pans and bake for 40-45 minutes, checking after 35 minutes.
8) Cool and enjoy. (I froze some of the loaves and we ate some.) 



No comments :

Post a Comment