When I wanted to make a bow tie for Mr. Shortcake for Easter, I ended up cobbling together a few different patterns and tutorials I found. So when a friend recently asked if I would be willing to make her little man a bow tie, I decided to document the process for my future reference and for you! Because there is nothing as cute as a mini bow tie for your dapper little man!
I found Zoe's tutorial very helpful at SlowMama, but wanted a tie that actually went around the neck, so here is what I came up with.
1) Start by cutting three pieces of fabric. The neckband will be 14 by 2.5 inches, the main tie will be made from a piece that is 9 by 4 inches, and the middle piece will be 3 by 1.5 inches.
2) Sew your neckband piece, right sides together on one short and the long side. Clip corners and turn right side out and press. Press open edge under by .25 of an inch and sew shut.
3) Repeat with the main tie piece.
5) Pinch the circle of the main tie piece in half and then pinch the top and bottom down. I used a glue gun to secure at this point, but you could also hand sew it. Since it will be covered, the method doesn't really matter. (This isn't super easy to explain, but the picture should help you out.)
6) Take your middle piece and press the short ends up about .25 of an inch toward wrong side of fabric. Press the long sides to meet in the center back of wrong side of fabric.
7) Secure the main tie to the neckband with the middle piece, covering any stitching or glue. I used a zigzag stitch on my machine. To do this, you will want to place your bow tie in the center of your middle piece with the neckband centered on the back of the bow tie. Wrap the middle piece around to the back and secure.
8) To finish add 1 inch strips of velcro to the front and back of the neckband. (I actually did this before I attached the bow tie. It is really up to you when you do it.
You are all done! Imagine all of the fun different fabrics you could use to make these adorable ties! And wouldn't father and son ties also be darling? (I mean manly!)