Friday, February 14, 2014

Foodie Friday: Eat and Freeze Meals


There are lots of methods for making freezer meals, but I prefer to make extra of what we are already eating and freeze it for later. With another baby joining our family, I started to make extra of our regular meals so that we could eat that day, but also freeze some for those hectic days of when you first bring home the baby.
Here are some of the recipes that we really enjoyed over the last month and will be enjoying again soon!
1) Creamy Beef Enchiladas from Over the Big Moon: These were a huge hit the first time around and we are all looking forward to enjoying them again. I cooked the roast as recommended and added some green salsa, cooked rice, sour cream, and green chilies to the shredded meat. I then assembled the enchiladas as directed, but made double the amount. One batch went in the oven for supper and one went into the freezer for later.
2) Super Food Rotini from Clean Eating Recipes: When making this recipe, I pretty much followed the recipe, except I used ground sausage and regular tomato sauce. It made enough that we could eat it for supper, have a small container of leftovers, and freeze a gallon size Ziplock for later consumption.
3) Stromboli from The Stir: I loosely followed this recipe and was planning on making enough to bake and freeze, however, we all enjoyed it so much, there wasn't enough for freezing, just left overs. I started with two loaves of frozen bread dough and after letting them thaw and rise according to the package directions, rolled them out and assembled the stromboli with ingredients to our liking. If I were to make it again, I would make all four loaves so we could have enough to eat and freeze.
4) Crockpot Lasagna Soup: While we all enjoyed this soup, I am not sure why it is called lasagna soup. I would more lean toward callings it a minestrone. When I made this, I simply doubled the ingredients and once again froze a gallon sized Ziplock with enough for round two. 

No comments :

Post a Comment