Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Glitter Heart Valentine's Day Shirt Tutorial


I often find myself making seasonal shirts for the girls. I can often make them for much cheaper than I can find in the stores, and I can make them so that they can be worn a bit longer than the actual holiday. And now with two girls (maybe three?) I always have one from other years to pass on.
This year, I was inspired by this shirt from Old Navy. Of course you can no longer buy it because it has long sleeves and who on earth would wear long sleeves past January??! (Okay, I am being sarcastic. When you live here, Up North, it is a bit amusing to see flip flops out when it is still in the negatives outside.)
Anyway, I used my Silhouette to cut out hearts from freezer paper to make stencils. (If you don't have a cutting machine, a punch or even free hand would work as well.) Just make sure to leave enough of a border around each heart (or other shape) so that your paint doesn't get outside of the stencil. Once the hearts were cut, I ironed them on to the shirts. (Old Navy did redeem itself when I was able to score shirts for both of the girls for this project for around $3 a piece. Go clearance!)

Once you have the stencils ironed down, you are ready to paint. I went with this Tulip fabric paint that I picked up at JoAnn Fabrics. (I ended up using a regular paint brush instead of this sponge dauber.)

I painted two coats on each heart with a dry time in between.
Once the paint was dry, I peeled off the stencils. (I think because of the glitter paint, some of my freezer paper was left around the edges. I probably could have pulled it off while the paint was still a little tacky. However, the freezer paper will come off with washing.)


No comments :

Post a Comment